[php] Re: [PHP-DEV] ANN: Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 published!

[php] Re: [PHP-DEV] ANN: Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 published!

Sascha Schumann sascha_(at)_schumann.cx
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:43:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Tobias Ratschiller wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm happy to announce that our PHP book has been published on July 14th by
> New Riders, and is now available at major book stores and online resellers
> such as Amazon.com.

    Congrats to creating such a great book. Here are some
    corrections which you might want to consider in the next
    revised edition:

    p 132: "[PHP 4.0's session management] [..] lacks some of the
    advanced features that PHPLib provides."

    You are comparing apples and oranges. Feature-wise, PHPLib's
    session management lacks some of the advanced features that
    PHP 4.0's session management provides. Nevertheless, it was a
    great source of inspiration.

    p 139: "When using public caching, the cache_expire PHP
    configuration will be taken into account."

    True, but it also applies to the private option.

    p 152: Concerning "bad-style" of mcrypt API

    Note that we are dealing with symmetric algorithms. It would
    make no sense to have two different functions for the same
    operation (only the modus operandi is different).

    p 189: "The concept of PHP streams was introduced with PHP
    4.0 and is not available in the PHP 3.x tree."

    Actually, I added it to PHP 3.0.13 first and ported it later
    to PHP 4.

    A word about by the Foreword:

    "The Zend engine revolutionizes [..]. Its integrated session
    support; built-in XML, Java, and COM support; [..]"

    This is at least misleading. I suggest changing "Its" to
    "PHP's" to reflect the reality.

    - Sascha

php::bar PHP Wiki   -   Listenarchive